The Pacific Highway is a highlight reel of Australian beaches and aquatic activities. Driving from Brisbane to Sydney is a distance of about 900 kilometres, which translates into 12 hours driving time, roughly one week of adventure, and countless moments spent absorbing the beauty of beaches, sunrises, and the uncomplicated life on the east coast of Australia.
Here's where to stop, stay, and play when you drive from Brisbane to Sydney.
BRISBANE TO GOLD COAST
75 km - 1 hour
The Gold Coast is flashy, beautiful, and fun. Stop here for a night or two to take in some of the bi ticket tourist items in Australia.
What to do in the Gold Coast:
- Get the best view on the Gold Coast - from mid air! A skydive with Gold Coast Skydiving is a massive adrenaline rush and one of the most exciting things to do in the Gold Coast! Plus, JUCY lovers can get $50 off Gold Coast skydive with the promo code JUCYSUMMER - valid until the end of Feb 2019.
- The Gold Coast is famous for theme parks. Rediscover your inner child and check out Movie World for a day of escapism
- Take surf lessons with Get Wet Surf
- Go on an Aquaduck boat trip - get 20 percent off the full price when you use the booking code JUCY10YR
- Explore the iconic Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where you are surrounded by 27 hectares of Currumbin Rainforest. Feed kangaroos and cuddle koalas as you wander through open animal enclosures. Or, discover the brand new precinct Lost Valley, where you can spot exotic animals such as flying birds, lemurs, capybaras and more
GOLD COAST TO BYRON BAY
95 km - 1 hour 15 minutes
Fun fact - Byron Bay is the easternmost point of Australia. It's also the boho capital of Australia - you'll love the creative, welcoming vibe.
- Take some surf lessons with Mojosurf
- Head to the Byron Bay Lighthouse early in the morning to catch sunrise
- Between June and November looks for passing humpback whales from the Captain Cook Lookout
- Shop at the Byron Bay Artisan Market or Byron Bay Farmer's market
- Snorkel at Julian Rocks
- Visit the beach at Arakwal National Park
BYRON BAY TO MINNIE WATER
230 km - 2 hours 30 minutes
The tiny coastal town of Minnie Water is a calm place to stopover for a night when driving the Pacific Highway. Surrounded by Yuraygir National Park, the village comes alive inn spring when many of the 120 species of wildflower in the area come into bloom. It's a quiet place to get away from the Pacific Highway for a night.
What to do in Minnie Water:
- Fish straight from the rocks by the beach
- Go on the Rocky Point Walk and explore tidal pools
- Swim in the calm Minnie Lagoon
MINNIE WATER TO PORT MACQUARIE
250 km - 3 hours
Port Macquarie is a pleasant mix of cosmopolitan and naturally beautiful. You can explore the gorgeous beaches in the area by day and the local bars by night.
What to do in Port Macquarie:
- Stroll along the breakwall and admire the brightly painted rocks along the way
- Check out the 9 kilometre Coastal Walk running from Town Beach to Tacking Point Lighthouse
PORT MACQUARIE TO NELSON BAY
250 km - 2 hours 40 minutes
The resort town of Nelson Bay is anther laid back beach town and one of the last places to stop on the road trip from Brisbane to Sydney.
What to do in Nelson Bay:
- Climb Mount Tomaree to get the best views of the area
- Stroll through Tomaree National Park
NELSON BAY TO SYDNEY
215 km - 3 hours
From Nelson Bay you can cruise south through Newcastle and the Central Coast before arriving in Sydney.
What to do on the Central Coast:
- Stop at Snapper Point Lookout
- Walk the Box Head Track
More Brisbane Road Trips
Can't get enough of travelling Australia's east coast? Check out these Brisbane road trip itineraries as well.